One of the first and most important decisions you’ll make in your pregnancy is who will deliver your child. While most births in the U.S. are overseen by doctors, the use of midwives has grown in popularity.
At Premier Women’s Obgyn, we provide pregnant women with as many options as possible, including expert midwifery services provided by our team of certified nurse midwives.
Midwife means “with women.” The modern midwife provides comprehensive women’s health care from adolescence through menopause. At Premier Women’s Obgyn, our doctors are all certified nurse midwives, trained and licensed as independent women’s healthcare providers.
Clear communication, trust, and a positive connection between a pregnant woman and her health care provider play an integral role in the birthing process. It’s also important that the person you choose supports the decisions you make during your pregnancy. This leads some women to feel more comfortable in the care of a midwife.
Our midwives are medical professionals; they hold medical degrees, certifications, and licenses including:
- A master’s degree in nursing;
- National certification;
- State licenses where they practice;
- Ability to prescribe medication in all 50 states.
One reason women choose midwives over doctors is for the holistic birthing experience they provide. Midwives are especially good at helping new moms with breastfeeding, handling anxieties, and improving nutrition.
While our midwives are generally associated with a more natural birthing process, if the situation calls for it, they can and do use medication including epidurals for pain relief and antibiotics when indicated. They also will recommend a cesarean section when necessary, which can be performed by an obstetrician.
Our midwives work closely with obstetricians who are always available to assist if complications occur during pregnancy, labor, or delivery. Other services that our certified nurse midwives offer include:
- Monitoring the physical, psychological, and social wellbeing of the mother throughout the childbearing cycle;
- Providing the mother with individualized education, counseling, and prenatal care, continuous hands-on assistance during labor and delivery, and postpartum support;
- Minimizing technological interventions;
- Performing routine gynecologic care including annual check-ups, pap tests, breast exams, and treatment for common vaginal infections;
- Identifying and referring women who require obstetrical attention;
Remember that your pregnancy and delivery is your unique experience—no two deliveries are the same. Many of our patients consult with several doctors and midwives before choosing the right person. Fortunately at Premier Women’s Obgyn, you can meet with obstetricians as well as certified nurse midwives.
If you’re interested in more information regarding midwifery services and are in need of a reputable and personable Ob-Gyn Riverdale GA residents trust the professional and caring staff at Premier Women’s Obgyn.
Don’t wait – call us today at (770) 909-5003 to schedule your confidential consultation.